Anneliese is a “leading lawyer of her generation” and a “standout genius” who is frequently instructed in high-value and complex cases both nationally and internationally. She is ranked both as a Leading Silk in six practice areas in the legal directories (commercial litigation, international arbitration, professional negligence, energy, construction and insurance/reinsurance) and as an Arbitrator.
She was recently described as “an absolute Rockstar at the top of her game”, who operates at the highest level in her areas of expertise dealing with courts and tribunals as both Lead Counsel and Arbitrator not only in the UK but also in Asia Pacific, the Middle East and the Caribbean (including the DIFC and the SICC). She also regularly appears at appellate level. She is known for being a “charming, intelligent and ruthlessly brilliant advocate”, “stupendously talented” and a “good leader for the 21st century”.
In 2020, Anneliese was named ‘International Arbitration Silk of the Year’ at the Chambers Bar Awards where she was also shortlisted as ‘Professional Negligence Silk of the Year’. She has previously been named ‘Construction and Energy Silk of the Year’ three times, ‘Barrister of the Year’ in 2014 by The Lawyer and one of the 500 most influential people in the UK by Debretts.
Her recent highlights include:
- $350 million arbitration in Trinidad concerning a road contract and security issues in English Court of Appeal: Acting as lead counsel in connection with the termination of a $350 million road contract in Trinidad having successfully had a call on the project security confirmed by the Court of Appeal in London.
- DIFC audit claim against Deloitte: Acting on behalf of Deloitte & Touche in respect of a claim for $128 million by minority shareholders of the former Lebanese Canadian Bank.
- Mining arbitration in Singapore: Acting as lead co-counsel in one of the largest arbitrations in the world arising out of the Roy Hill Iron Ore project in Western Australia where over $1 billion was in dispute.
- Fiduciary duties of attorneys in Cayman Islands: Successfully obtaining summary judgment in proceedings against Walkers solicitors in a case considering the fiduciary duties of attorneys, conflicts of interest and the defence of illegality.
- ICSID Arbitration in Washington DC and London: Acting for Canadian mining company in an ICSID claim against the Republic of Kazakhstan heard in Washington DC and London.