Andrew Pullen is an experienced dispute resolution lawyer and advocate. He practises principally in international arbitration and is based in Singapore.
Prior to joining Fountain Court Chambers, Andrew practised for 15 years as a solicitor at Allen & Overy. He was admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales in 2002 and granted the solicitors’ higher courts (civil advocacy) qualification in 2011, before being called to the Bar of England & Wales in 2016 and taking up practice with Fountain Court in 2017. He also holds a full registration as a registered foreign lawyer with the Singapore International Commercial Court, entitling him to appear before that court.
Andrew specialises in international arbitration, with experience of both commercial and investment treaty arbitration. He has extensive experience of international arbitration in both Asia and Europe, having been based in Singapore (since 2011) and London (2002-2011). He has acted for clients in Asia, Europe and South America across a variety of business sectors, including finance, energy, automotive, defence, utilities, steel, manufacturing, brewing and media. Andrew is recommended for commercial and construction disputes in Legal 500 Asia Pacific: The English Bar 2019 and for arbitration by Chambers & Partners 2020: The English Bar in Singapore and Asia Pacific.
Andrew has acted in arbitrations held under a wide variety of arbitral rules (ICC, LCIA, SIAC, HKIAC, SCMA, SCC, JCAA, AAA, Swiss Rules, UNCITRAL, and ICSID), in London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Stockholm, The Hague, Tokyo, Washington D.C. and Zurich. His experience includes:
- corporate and company disputes: including joint venture disputes; post-M&A warranty claims; disputes under share purchase agreements and share option agreements; derivative and unfair prejudice claims;
- commercial claims: including breach of contract and wrongful termination claims under distribution agreements, offtake agreements and other commercial contracts;
- banking and finance disputes: including claims under ISDA Master Agreements, on-demand guarantees and investment agreements;
- energy, resources and construction disputes: including disputes in the oil and gas, power and mining sectors; contractual issues relating to unsuccessful bids and negotiations; and disputes relating to variation orders and delayed construction.
- investment protection: including acting in ICSID arbitration proceedings; advising on potential investment treaty claims; and advising on the structuring of investments to take advantage of treaty protections.
Andrew’s experience includes cases determined under a wide variety of governing laws (both civil law and common law systems) as well as under English law, and has frequently worked as co-counsel with lawyers from many jurisdictions. He has significant experience of interim measures in arbitration (both before emergency arbitrators and tribunals) and jurisdiction issues.
In addition to acting in and appearing as advocate in arbitrations, Andrew has been appointed as arbitrator in arbitrations under the ICC and SIAC rules. He has substantial experience of advisory work, including: pre-dispute advice to parties facing potentially contentious situations; contractual interpretation; and the design and drafting of dispute resolution provisions. He has also acted as instructing solicitor in litigation before the English and other courts.
In order to comply with Singapore immigration and employment law, Mr Pullen is employed by and practises primarily through Andrew Pullen Law Practice Private Limited, a private limited company incorporated under the laws of Singapore. Further information relating to this can be found here.