Daniel is instructed in relation to a wide range of commercial matters and appears regularly in both trials and interlocutory matters in both the County Courts and in the High Court (as a sole advocate). Daniel is developing a broad commercial and civil practice in line with Chamber's profile and is particularly interested in the following areas:
- Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Banking and Financial Services
- Conflict of Laws and Jurisdiction
- Civil Fraud
- Insurance and Reinsurance
- Professional Negligence
- Regulation and Professional Discipline
- Sale of Goods and International Trade
- BA (Philosophy, Politics and Economics), Brasenose College, Oxford University (First class, ranking 1st in economics and 2nd overall)
- BA (Law) (accelerated), Wolfson College, Cambridge University (Double first class, ranking 4th and 6th respectively)
- LLM, Harvard Law School
- BVC, City University (Outstanding)
Prizes and Scholarships
- Kennedy Scholar (United Kingdom)
- Frank Burris & Gahan Scholar (Inner Temple)
- Prize for outstanding performance on the BVC (Inner Temple)
- Duke of Edinburgh entrance scholarship (Inner Temple)
- Major CPE scholar (Inner Temple)
- Hicks & Webb Medley prize for best overall performance in economics (University of Oxford)
- John Hicks Foundation scholarship for best performance in macroeconomics (University of Oxford)
- College prizes for academic achievement (Brasenose College, Oxford).
- Commendations for best performance in the law of torts and law and economics (University of Cambridge)
- Sir David Williams prize (Wolfson College, Cambridge)
- 2 x Jennings prizes (Wolfson College, Cambridge)
Banking and Finance
- Daniel has a wide range of experience in banking matters generally including mis-selling claims based upon the conduct of business rules, interest-rate swaps, and in particular all elements, from interim proceedings to trial, of payment protection insurance (“PPI” ) litigation;
- Daniel (with Raymond Cox QC and Bridget Lucas) has recently acted in preparing the successful defence and counterclaim of a Jersey-based investment fund-manager from a multi-million euro claim alleging breach of contract and professional negligence.
- Daniel is currently instructed (in a team lead by David Railton QC) in defending and bringing a substantial counterclaim worth several hundred millions of dollars in a commercial court dispute concerning prime brokerage;
- Daniel is currently instructed as sole counsel in ongoing litigation in the High Court involving a retail bank alleged to have paid out substantial funds in breach of contract; and
- Daniel is currently instructed (with Richard Coleman QC and Giles Wheeler) in substantial ongoing litigation by a Guernsey incorporated cell against an investment manager concerning the negligent management of investments valued in excess of US$ 150,000,000.
- Daniel is currently instructed (with Richard Coleman QC and Giles Wheeler) in substantial ongoing litigation by a Guernsey incorporated cell against an investment manager concerning the negligent management of investments valued in excess of US$ 150,000;
- Daniel (with Raymond Cox QC and Bridget Lucas) has recently acted in preparing the successful defence of a Jersey-based investment fund and directors against from claims for negligence worth approximately €8 million;
- Daniel is currently instructed in several ongoing matters involving retail banks in both the High Court that are alleged to have negligently paid out funds negligently and in breach of trust;
- Daniel is currently instructed in several ongoing claims against solicitors for negligence in relation to their handling of property matters and litigation;
- Daniel is a contributor to the Journal of Professional Negligence; and
- During and following pupillage Daniel assisted Derrick Dale Q.C. in drafting and preparing the defence for a barrister in a substantial claim;
- Daniel has a wide range of experience in commercial matters generally and regularly appears in the County Court as a sole advocate in both interim hearings and trials involving all elements of contract law;
- Daniel has a wide range of experience representing both banks and claimants (from interim proceedings through to successful appeals) in consumer credit litigation; and
- Daniel spent four months on secondment to Jones Day (October 2011-February 2012) during which time he was instructed (in a team led by Michael Crane QC) in the case of Air Transworld Ltd v Bombardier Inc  EWHC 243 (Comm), the successful defence of a $30 million claim for the purchase price of an Aircraft. Part heard, Cooke J in the Commercial Court found for the Defendant on all points.
- Air Transworld v Bombardier Inc  EWHC 243 (Comm) (in a team led by Michael Crane QC), the successful defence of a $30 million claim for the purchase price of an Aircraft.
- Legal Aid Payments and Limitation – Journal of Professional Negligence (2012) Vol 28 4
- Seconded to Jones Day litigation department October 2011 – February 2012
- Currently instructed (with Derrick Dale QC and James Duffy) in relation to human rights violations in Cambodia
- Volunteer legal adviser at the Bethnal Green Legal Advice Centre
- Volunteer with the Harvard Law School Prison Legal Assistance Project, representing prisoners in Massachusetts disciplinary proceedings (2008-2009).
Daniel successfully completed the intensive Harvard Law School advocacy and negotiation workshops (2008-2009)
Daniel speaks conversational Mandarin Chinese and Spanish.
Daniel enjoys theatre, comedy, travel, and sports.